Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Back in Bila!‏ E-mail April 23, 2012

Hello Family,

Sorry last week was so short, I was in Kyiv and way distracted by all of the missionaries around me. Not to mention that Sister Jacobson really didn't have anything to write since she was going home two days later. By the way, she's gone. Home safe and sound I'm sure. The only bad thing that came out of it was that I was a little trunkie for a few days. So we ended up in Kyiv until Thursday and then we came back. My companion is Sister Ebeling. We were together at the MTC and now we're back together. I'm really excited about that because we get along really well, and we're both still in our "greenie fire" stage. It's also a little intimidating because I'm the one who knows the area and technically that means that I'm the senior companion. That is terrifying!!!! I can't even tell you how stressed out I've been.

So I spent a few days in Kyiv, I served with Sister Smith and Sister Moore and it was so much fun!! I have some cool pictures of what Easter is like in Ukraine. It's one of the biggest holidays of the year! Right before Easter everyone goes and cleans up their ancestor's grave sites. We did that as service with one of our less active members here in Bila. Then this past weekend, the one after Easter (the 21and 22) everyone goes and picnics at the cemeteries for their "Memorial Day". It's really interesting and kind of cool that the big holiday is the one where we're celebrating the most important event in the history of the world (the Atonement and Resurrection)!

My p-day in Kyiv was really cool. I've seen all of the major sites of the city but I didn't get a whole lot of pictures, but I know how to get back.The orthodox cathedrals/monestaries are so cool, they're just so different from anything you see anywhere else.So on my full day in Kyiv with the other sisters we decided to go to a part of their area that they've never been to and contact. Well we took a marshutka there and we didn't feel very good about it. Just a bad feeling. So we did what missionaries do and prayed about it. Then we met this awesome girl who asked us about polygamy. Apparently the show "Sister Wives" has made it across the ocean. Well, Sister Smith just says "NO, that's wrong". The girl looked really taken aback but kept talking to us. She actually was open to meeting and learning more about the church.

Then we decided we needed to tract for a while. Well, here in Ukraine the majority of people in the cities live in apartments. You have to call someone to let you in and then you just go from the top floor down. Well, we found this door where a babushka answered and ushered us in. We went in and sat down then came her extremely creepy son. Sister Moore tried to teach the lady, Sister Smith is holding a conversation with the creepy guy and I'm trying to keep him from touching me. At the end of the lesson when we were ready to go, he jumps up and tries to kiss me. I'm leaning away from him, Sister Smith is pulling me by my coat away from him. His mom is yelling at him, and then we're running for the door. I was so freaked out, and Sister Smith was just cracking up. It was one of those moments that every sister needs to have on her mission. Almost getting kissed by a creepy dude. The first thing that Sister Ebeling said when she heard the whole thing was, ...............  Life here in Bila is good. I'm really stressed about being in charge, I was totally content to be a junior companion for the rest of my mission, but oh, well.

Until next week!

Love,

Sister Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment