Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Who Says Ukraine Is Cold? E-Mail - March 19, 2012

Hello Family!!

I hope everyone had a great week, it sounds like it from all of your emails. Mom, Alise on facebook is a member here in Ukraine in one of my branches.  She has the calling to play the piano in sacrament meeting. Something I really wish I would have had more diligence learning. The church actually pays for her piano lessons and right now she plays the hymns right hand only on the keyboard in our building. She's super nice and is a great example of the people here. Our branches are awesome, they're all so new. The oldest members of the church here have been members for about 13-14 years. Together there is about 70 people who come regularly, and about 40 who are less active. We cover both branches so we're at church for a total of 7 hours every Sunday. Zach, we definitely have coat racks here in Ukraine.

It's actually been really gorgeous here the last few days. It hasn't snowed since last Sunday and it's probably been in the 40s or 50s. The only difference here is that there is a certain dress code in Ukraine.The babuskas (grandmas) yell at you if you don't abide by it. And that is that you wear tights, boots, coats, scarves, hats, and gloves until they say winter is over. Which might not be until April. And you better not wear short sleeves until then either. It's intense. And really, really, warm. The heat here is interesting. All of the buildings are heated by hot water running through the pipes. On April 15th, they turn off the hot water, and then every one has their own boiler for individual hot water.

Work here in Ukraine is much different than it was in Virginia. One big difference is that we walk, everywhere. I actually really like it now that most of the ice and snow is melted, it feels so good to just be outside. And honestly, I'd rather walk than ride a marshutka which are buses that go throughout the city that you can take. We also do a lot of street contacting. It's really interesting to meet all sorts of different people. My Ukrainian is slowly improving, I can understand the jist of most things when people are talking. Most members LOVE that I speak Ukrainian and not Russian. Sister Jacobson thinks it's funny. Also they all say my Ukrainian is so pure Ukrainian, I'll take the compliments where ever I can get them.

Mom, I don't know if you would survive here. We live on the fifth floor, and one of our less actives that we see a lot lives on the 9th floor of a building and we take elevators. If you can imagine the elevators here are not what they are in the states. You'd be walking a lot of stairs. We also stay out of our apartment most of the day. We only come home to eat, which is how it should be.

Shopping here is different too. They have the best bread, hands down. We shop at a grocery store which isn't much different than what you find in the states, but if you want something else you can go to a reenik. They are outdoor markets and they remind me of something you would see on the Amazing Race. It's something you just have to experience.

Zach, I have gotten the plane joke already especially since my companion is done with her mission at the end of this transfer. She looked up and said "guess how far away that airplane is?" About 13 months! There are somethings about Ukraine that would be considered third world, but it's amazing, the church thrives everywhere.


I've eaten borsh! It's actually really not bad.

Well, that's all I can think of. I got to go to Kyiv this week and ride the metro, that was really fun. Oh, and I have permission to write people outside of my family via email, so mom maybe you could write that on my facebook page, with this email address, that I can email them back.

Thanks!!

Love you!

Sister Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment